This is how I make my chocolate lava cakes. I find the sweetness of the chocolate often matches nicely with that sour tang of a red raspberry.
- 22 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces of bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 6 whole eggs + 6 additional egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar + 4 additional tablespoons
- 12 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons Raspberry jam – divided (1/2 tablespoon for each cake, use 8 tablespoons if you want 1 tablespoon each)
What You Want To Do is:
- Place butter, chocolate chips, and jam into a double boiler and melt completely over steaming water. (if you lack a double boiler, put butter, and chocolate into a bowl with the jam and place this over a pan with boiling water.) Stir frequently.
- While the raspberry chocolate butter is melting. Place eggs, sugar into the bowl of your mixer. With the whisk attachment mix on medium speed until mixture becomes light and thick (about 8-9 minutes). Add flour and mix together. (I do this by hand but, a blender works best)
- slowly and graudually and this is important setting aside a max of 8 tablespoons while pouring the rest of the raspberry chocolate/butter mixture into the egg mixture. Mixing on low until well combined and mixture develops a glossy sheen (about 5-6 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. while the mixture is finishing it’s final mixing (turning glossy) liberally spray 8 small ramekins with olive oil. (small spray bottle from the dollar store works wonders)
- To assemble: Place ramekins onto a rimmed cookie sheet lined with a silicone mat. Fill ramekins half way with batter. Spoon 1 tablespoon of remaining jam, chocolate butter mix into each ramekin. Equally divide remaining batter between ramekins.
- Bake for approximately 10-14 minutes until outside is solid and top appears to be soft (but NOT jiggly)