This is a really easy, and fast meal. Most homes have the goodies. Linguini or any other long thin pasta, eggs, olive oil, pecorino, or any ovini cheese (ovini is sheep), and guanciale or bacon. This recipe uses raw eggs, which are essentially cooked by tossing with hot pasta. They are not cooked to the point of scrambled though, just enough to thicken the eggs into a sauce. The garlic is optional but not really, traditionally you would leave it out.
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 pound guanciale diced
4 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
6-8 whole eggs
2 cup grated Pecorino del pastore E della tuscia
2 pound linguini or bucatini or fettuccine
Salt and black pepper to taste
To begin, we must put a large pot of salted water on to boil (1 Tbsp salt for every 2 quarts of water.)
While the water is coming to a boil, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the guanciale and cook slowly until crispy. Add the garlic and cook another minute, then turn off the heat and put the guanciale and garlic into a large bowl. In a bowl, beat the eggs and mix in about half of the cheese.
Once the water has reached a rolling boil, add the pasta, and cook, uncovered. When the pasta is al dente (still a little firm, not mushy), strain the pasta DO NOT RINSE add the guanciale and garlic. Move the pasta from the pot to the bowl quickly as posible, as you want the pasta to be hot. It’s the heat of the pasta that will heat the eggs sufficiently to create a creamy sauce. Toss everything to combine, then add the beaten eggs with cheese and toss quickly to combine once more. Add salt to taste.
I love to sprinkle it with a little fresh chopped parsley and basil, and nice dash of more pecorino ontop and maybe some pepperocino or crushed red pepper flake.
- Pasta alla carbonara “made simple” (eatalianwithroberto.wordpress.com)
- guanciale frittata with mushrooms and garlic (livindolcevita.wordpress.com)
- Linguini Primavera with Scallops (ownchef.wordpress.com)
- Linguine With Chanterelle Mushrooms & Chicken (sadmanstongue.com)
- The Best Thing I Ever Ate: Pasta (winemeariver.com)
- Spring has sprung pasta salad (livindolcevita.wordpress.com)
- Shrimp Scampi with Linguini (mytopweightloss.wordpress.com)
- Snow Day Dinner: Pasta Carbonara (alidoesit.wordpress.com)
- Pan Seared King Fish with Linguine alla Puttanesca (thecookingenthusiast.wordpress.com)
- Fettuccine Carbonara Alla Alma (luckymom2009.wordpress.com)
- Pasta Carbonara (sylviacancook.wordpress.com)
- St Valentine’s dinner (weddingsitalianlakes.wordpress.com)
- guanciale and corn griddle cakes (livindolcevita.wordpress.com)
- Spiced Roast Chicken (happyhealthystrong.com.au)
- Fresh pasta : Fettucine Alla Carbonara (itsnotartitsdinner.wordpress.com)
- smoked salmon carbonara [giveaway] (backtoherroots.com)
- Fresh Friday: Calling All Volume Eaters (doubleeaglefitness.wordpress.com)