The mint makes them really good. Do not tell anyone! It’s our secret
Salt, to taste
8 live lobsters, each 1 1/2 to 2 lb
4 sticks unsalted butter
24 garlic cloves, minced
4 lemons cut into 1/4th slices
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
12 Tbs. minced fresh mint and parsley
Bring a large pot three-fourths full of salted water to a boil over high heat. Have ready a bowl of ice water large enough to fit the lobsters.
On a cutting board, use the point of a knife to cut an incision through each lobster head shell about 1 inch from the eyes, pushing down hard through the shell to instantly kill the lobster (yes it’s painless). Immediately plunge the lobsters into the pot and cook for 2 minutes, then transfer to the ice water. When the lobsters are cool enough to handle, split them in half lengthwise. Remove the intestinal vein from the tails, the grain sacs from the heads and any green tomalley from the bodies; reserve any black egg sacs in a small bowl. (You can stuff the head if you’d like with broccoli and cheese after.)
Pour 1/4 cup boiling water over the egg sacs and, using a fork, gently break the membrane to release the roe; it will turn bright red in the hot water. Strain through a sieve and let dry on a paper towel.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the garlic. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the mint and parsley and 2 Tbs. of the reserved lobster eggs. Keep the garlic-mint butter warm.
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a grill. Brush and oil the grill grate.
Brush the cut side of each lobster half with some of the garlic-mint butter. Place the lobsters, cut side down, on the grill. Cover and grill until the flesh is opaque and firm to the touch, 5 to 6 minutes. Grill the lemon slices over the hottest part of the fire until lightly charred, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
Brush the grilled lobsters with the remaining garlic-mint butter and transfer to a platter. Garnish with the grilled lemon slices and serve immediately.
- Chilean Lobster Feature Menu (tcclub.wordpress.com)
- Lobster Linguine with White Wine Sauce (thedailymeal.com)
- The Ultimate Lobster Bible (thedailymeal.com)
- Grilled lemon lobster and oven fries (independent.co.uk)
- St. Kitts – Part III: Lobster (mariongundersonart.com)
- How to Grill Lobster (thedailymeal.com)
- RECIPE: Lobster (foodographer.net)
- Claws célèbre: Shellfish is perfect for that special night in, says Bill Granger (independent.co.uk)
- Patrick Broadhead, executve chef at Max’s Grille, gives his elegant take on shepherd’s pie (pbpulse.com)
- How to Best Kill a Lobster (thedailymeal.com)
- The Real-Life King Kong Story of the Land Lobster [Video] (gizmodo.com)
- Summer salads for a crowd (livindolcevita.wordpress.com)