Hey if the world ended and a horse you owned died of natural causes and your starving…you now have a way to eat it besides soups an stews an roasts.
Preparation technology – pieces of horse meat into thin strips, seasoned and hung in the chimney to be smoked. Currently almost disappeared and the use of horse meat, pork or replaced by vaccination. In other words, it’s mostly done now with pork.
aging – after being seasoned with salt and pepper abundant (in the tradition because it was believed that did not attack the flies) are buried in red wine for a couple of days. (think it means it did not attract the flies.)
seasoning period – ten days, ie until the product is not completely dry, pouring a lot of weight.
historically made in Ariccia in lazio.
the name of “couples” is derived from the techniques of preparation that takes on a wire bent in half in front of the fireplace for db x-trackers dried. The origin of the product and barriers in the need to preserve the meat as long as possible, especially during the winter, or transhumance. This is because the couples were originally only as a horse, while on the move, the meat of sick animals or more vercchi was used to prepare this food. In Rome, was a tradition in the wine-consuming, seritein straw baskets, and adorned with red laces tied in points. Or vendors, known as “coppiettari”, passing through the city streets, shouting “couples!” accompanying them to passers-by offered her a glass of wine. Currently, to produce them with horse meat were porchissimi butchers, and while the popularity of pork and cow.
It ‘a product in danger of extinction because ill-adapted to the ever more oppressive sanitary regulations.
- Protesters want horse meat off bistro’s menu (cbc.ca)
- New Articles on tRNA, Horse Meat and Mangosteen at EurekaMag.com Science Magazine (prweb.com)
- Would You Eat Horse Meat? (boston.cbslocal.com)
- Animal’s Angels Investigates European Horse Meat Trade (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Delicious Horse Meat Is Only a Month Away [Meat] (gawker.com)
- David Hunter: Horse meat’s a delicacy elsewhere (knoxnews.com)
- What Does Horse Meat Taste Like? (ibtimes.com)
- Cavallo Equestrian Arts Announces Florida Tour Schedule (prweb.com)
- What Horse Meat Tastes Like (huffingtonpost.com)
- Horse Slaughter Ban Lifted: Horse Meat May Be Coming Soon | Petside (knockandtalk.wordpress.com)