Clean and gut the suckling pig through the neck then set aside. Combine the black pepper, honey, wine and bayleaves in a pan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then take off the heat and remove the bayleaf. Work in the crumbled pastry, stirring until the mixture is thick and the blend is smooth. Pour the mixture through the neck of the suckling pig then bind closed with skewers and cover with foil. Sit on a rack in a roasting tin then transfer to an oven pre-heated to 430°F and roast for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 320°F and continue roasting for 50 minutes per kg, or until the skin is crisp and the meat is thoroughly cooked (check that the meat juices run clear by piercing in the thickest part of the roast). Remove the pig from the oven, cover with foil and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish, carve and serve.
It was very delicious. It was served to me by a greek couple in the neighborhood who invited my babes and I to dinner to thank me for turning a few of their hogs into sausage for them. It was very very good. So good I had to share. It was moist, tender, the stuffing was flavorful and also decently moist.
- Puff Pastry Recipe, Puff Pastry Tarts (potterybarnkids.com)
- Pohutukawa Trees + J.Friend & Co. (thissydneylife.wordpress.com)
- VISIT CDO ✈ Totong’s… Best Lechon EVER (thediplomaticwife.com)
- Polenta with Yellow Squash, Broccoli Rabe and Roasted Tomatoes (frshforce.wordpress.com)
- Hot Stuffing & Spicy Chile Stuffing for Turkey | Pottery Barn (potterybarn.com)
- Adorable Injured Piglet Was Unwanted Guest In Hawaiian Hotel (huffingtonpost.com)
- How to Cook the Best Oven-Baked Ribs (answers.com)
- Piglet found running around Hawaii hotel lobby (sfgate.com)
- The Prince and Pibil (4ticketsplease.com)
- Sunday Dinner: Cast iron roast beef (edibletimes.com)